Novemblog #21 - The Stranger in my Home (Adele Parks).

21.11.16

I'm so excited at actually finishing a damn book that I'm going to shout about it! Also the book was very good and I highly recommend it if you're looking for something new to read. 

I have struggled recently to find books that grab me within the first few pages. Patience isn't something that comes easily to me. I spotted this Adele Parks bestseller on special offer in the Kindle store so I thought I would give it a whirl.

It's definitely a different genre of book compared to what I normally read and that's one reason why I really enjoyed reading it. I normally steer towards "chick lit" and predictable, romantic books which are fairly short and easy to read. This is a thriller, without being gory or scary, and it's a lot longer than the books I tend to go for. The story-line grabbed me from the word go!

The premise is that a couple find out that their 15 year old daughter is not their real daughter, when a stranger turns up on the doorstep and tells them that there was a mix-up at the hospital and two babies were swapped. He is the father to their actual daughter. No spoilers but what follows shows the story unfolding with various twists and turns, and the relationships that develop between the two families. I genuinely lacked any idea as to what would happen and how the story would progress/end which is always a good thing. I loved the suspense as the story builds, and once I got half way through I finished the book in a couple of sittings as I couldn't wait to find out the conclusion.

My only negative is that although the first half of the book builds quite slowly with lots of detail, describing all the emotions of the main character (the mother) the second half of the book picks up the pace quite quickly and therefore a lot of emotions are skimmed over. Nonetheless I thoroughly enjoyed the story and I am keen to try other books by Adele Parks.

No comments:

Post a Comment