Mini-egg cupcakes (with chocolate chips) & mini-egg cookies.

27.2.11


Last weekend I had an empty Saturday afternoon so I turned to my faithful Hummingbird Bakery book to find a simple cupcake recipe to act as a base for my topping. They do a vanilla cupcake recipe which is very simple and easy to follow. You can find the recipe here.

I whipped up some frosting but I think I used a tad too much milk, so it wasn't my best. I mixed in white chocolate chips, milk chocolate chips and Cadbury's mini-eggs and spooned the mixture onto the top. My boyfriend is addicted to mini-eggs so they went down a treat.

Then I thought, why stop there!? I thought mini-egg biscuits could be a good idea.


The biscuit/cookie idea was a bit of a gamble. I haven't made biscuits since I was about 6 so I had no idea where to start. So, I turned to google and searched for "simple biscuit recipes" and found a couple of good ones. I spliced two recipes together and then halved the ingredients as I didn't want to make too many (complex stuff this baking malarkey y'know). This is one of the recipes which is very simple indeed.

Jonathan loves mini-eggs so I popped a couple of mini-eggs in each one. I didn't go overboard as this could have been disasterous and I didn't want to waste precious mini-eggs. I wanted to cut them into smaller pieces but I wasn't sure how they would cope in the oven. They look like little aliens or something but they taste yummy! Really soft inside and perfect with a cuppa!

21 comments:

  1. They look delicious! I could just do with a biscuit for my tea now! x

    ReplyDelete
  2. oooh the sight of mini eggs on a cupcake always means it's nearly spring to me! i love them hehe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. YUM YUM YUM!!!! I can't wait to bake some easter cupcakes The new Hummingbird Bakery Book comes out in March! xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. They look amazing :)x

    ReplyDelete
  5. My boyfriend's family company make machines that handle mini eggs for Cadbury, every time he goes into work he comes out with pockets full of them so I've got a supply knocking about all year.

    The cupcakes look fab!

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. looove those cupcakes. i'm thinking about making oreo ones :)
    awesome post. xo.
    gh0stparties.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. They look super yummy :D What a good idea about the mini egg cookies, I might have to try that out in the near future! xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oooh they look so delicious! I'm a mini egg addict too :) xo

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ohh they are so next on my list of things to bake! Thanks for the idea. I made Hummingbird's Black Bottom cupcakes yesterday, have you tried them? So good.
    Amy
    Narrowboat Lucky Duck
    www.nbluckyduck.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mmm both the cakes and biscuits look good! My boyfriend was just looking over my shoulder, he saw the cakes and went towards the screen as if trying to eat them - think he likes the look of them too! Mini eggs are yummy. x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Mmm those mini egg cupcakes look so so nice! xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. I wonder how mini eggs would work in rocky road?! Haha.

    ReplyDelete
  13. gosh those cupcakes look so yummy! Love the use of the mini eggs, i've been bad and eating loads of creame eggs lately! Bad me hehe

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ah, mini eggs - they are truly amazing.

    I use the hummingbird bakery vanilla cupcake recipe a lot, love it!

    ReplyDelete
  15. They look so good - I love mini eggs!
    I'm really enjoying your baking posts Victoria :) x

    ReplyDelete
  16. As soon as the chocolate eggs are in the shops I'm munching on them! Despite it not even being spring yet haha xxx

    ReplyDelete
  17. oh these look delicious - i am loking forward to easter as we always make chocolate nests with mini eggs!

    ReplyDelete
  18. oh these look delicious - i am loking forward to easter as we always make chocolate nests with mini eggs!

    ReplyDelete
  19. You can come to scotland and bake for me ANY TIME victoria :D haha xx

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh my god I love mini-eggs!! These look delicious xxx

    ReplyDelete
  21. They look soooo yummy! I might have to give them a go :) xx

    ReplyDelete