Hummingbird marshmallow cupcakes.

15.2.11

At the weekend we decided to have another whirl at some baking from the Hummingbird Bakery book (you may remember our Lemon Meringue Pie disaster) but we thought with my new electric whisk and an easier recipe it was bound to be a success. And a success it was! The instructions were easy to follow and the cupcakes turned out perfectly.. if I do say so myself.

The thing I like about baking is, once you start baking regularly you accumulate the ingredients and it reduces the need to keep buying new items each time. We just needed to buy butter, marshmallows and whole milk along with a pot of baking powder which I'm sure will come in handy for future baking!


The cupcake mixture came together nicely. We could have done with smaller cupcake cases, as we didn't quite make 12 like the book suggested, but apart from that everything was spot on. Plus bigger bun cases equal bigger buns and that can only be a good thing! After 30 minutes in the oven we took them out to cool and after a short tea break got to work on the marshmallow centre.

We placed some marshmallows in a bowl on top of a pan of boiling water, and waited until the marshmallows had melted. I had numerous spoonfuls of this as it was yummy, but left enough to fill in the small holes I had scooped out of each bun.


Presentation was tricky at this point - the marshmallow had a mind of its own. But there is a topping that completely covers the top of each bun so it's not a problem at all.

While they were cooling we got to work making the vanilla icing which we mixed with the remainder of our marshmallows which we had chopped into little pieces (the recipe calls for mini marshmallows but Morrisons had sold out). The vanilla icing and marshmallow mixture could then be spooned on top of each bun and spread over to cover the top of the bun entirely.

They taste absolutely yummy. I can't wait to make these again! They weren't too difficult at all and I'm a huge marshmallow fan so the marshmallow centre goes down an absolute treat. Do let me know if you've made these before and how they turned out!


This is the recipe for the cupcakes, and below is the vanilla frosting recipe:

250g icing sugar, sifted
80g unsalted butter, at room temperature
25ml whole milk
a couple of drops of vanilla extract

(makes enough for 12 cupcakes)

Beat the icing sugar and butter together in a freestanding electric mixer with a paddle attachment (or use a handheld electric whisk) on a medium-slow speed until the mixture comes together and is well mixed. Turn the mixer down to slow sleed. Combine the milk and vanilla extract in a seperate bowl, then add it to the butter mixture a couple of tablespoons at a time. 
nce all the milk has been incorporated, turn the mixer up to high speed. Continue beating until the frosting is light and fluffy, at least 5 minutes. The longer the frosting is beaten, the fluffier and lighter it becomes.

30 comments:

  1. They look delicious! I love marshmallow too, especially marshmallow squares.

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW! they look ridiculously yummy! I think im going to need to try this recipe out too!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. ah they look so tasty, stop tempting me with your wicked treats! x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I made these before and they were delicious. I tought the melting bit and putting them in the middle was a little tricky because the marshmallows would harden pretty quickly and it got very messy! Delicious though =)

    Hannah xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. They look so yummy! Definitely gonna give these a whirl sometime, thanks for the recipe :)
    Xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. these look amazing. are they from the hummingbird cupcake recipe book? am going to make these this weekend. woopee xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mmmm those look really good! They look similar to the raspberry cupcakes I made a while ago [post on my blog], which has raspberry jam in the centre. :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was hoping you would post about these after you mentioned on Twitter you were making them. I am going to have to give them a go, they look absolutely amazing!
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yummy.
    My hubby bought me the Hummingbird bakery book for my birthday last year and I've been slowly working through all the cakes. I made the marshmallow ones a few months ago and agree they were yummy and reasonably easy to make although I found I couldn't eat too may at once as they were very sweet lol.
    I recommend the carrot cake, it's a winner and all my friends ask me to make for them if I go over for tea!
    E x

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'll definitely be giving these a go - I love marshmallows!
    The Hummingbird Bakery book is fab too :)
    x

    ReplyDelete
  11. these look amazing! I'm always making cupcakes, i think they're so fun to make.
    gh0stparties.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Gosh they look so yummy. Melted marshmellows look so funny too!

    ReplyDelete
  13. these look AMAZING. gonna be making them!

    ReplyDelete
  14. omg m hungry n want cupcakes now!

    ReplyDelete
  15. They look fab! So yummy.

    Think I may need to have a go at making those.

    X x

    ReplyDelete
  16. They look soooooo good!!!

    Pippa
    xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  17. They look yummy!!

    Sadie x

    http://brandnewbutterflywings.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  18. Nom Nom Nom...they look so tasty! Can you make me some and fly them up?ha ha

    ReplyDelete
  19. Mmmmmm they look gorgeous and yummy, I have to save the recipe to make it one day :) btw well done on the weight loss! x X x

    ReplyDelete
  20. Yummy, they look delish! I really want one now hehe might make them the weekend :) x

    ReplyDelete
  21. Ah man, they look scrummy!!

    I have the same book and tried to make these, such a disaster zone. The marshmallow just WOULDNT melt properly and just got stuck everywhere, so I never managed to actually get any in the cake!

    I really want to make the raspberry brownie cheesecake in there, but I've made the blondies (from the same book) and they were awful, so i'm scared of this being even worse.

    Wow, I'm a failure with baking obviously! ;)

    Yours look lovely though :D

    http://fridayisforever.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  22. they look as good as in the book; ive made their vanilla (triple yum) and also chocolate cupcakes.

    you need to try out the banana bread recipe next its so good with a smidge of butter spread on it! xx

    ReplyDelete
  23. Words cannot describe how much I would love one of these right now!! My last baking experience with marshmallows was not my finest hour, but I do love them so!
    Great blog, I'm now following :)
    Beth @ Baking and Brogues
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  24. These look totally amazingly delicious - i must put them on the "to try" list!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Wow, these look amazing! I love marshmallows!

    ReplyDelete
  26. i agree with everyone! this is totally amazing!buy cupcakes online

    ReplyDelete
  27. Mmm,they look delicious! My bf brought me the cook book recently and I can't wait to try out some of the recipes, hopefully they'll be just as nice as your cupcakes x

    ReplyDelete
  28. Oh my god, this stuff all looks soo delicious :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  29. I am going to try these! I'm going to substitute marshmallow fluff for the actual marshmallows (vegetarian) but these looks so delicious! I'm completely in love with marshmallows <3

    ReplyDelete