How I lost (almost) 2 stone.

13.2.11

This post has been a long time coming. Lots of people have commented on my weight loss and I've had a few emails asking me to share my story but it's just been one of those things I've put off. However, I know so many people are looking for inspiration and most women I know want to lose weight and get fit, so if I can inspire a couple of people to go for it then that's brilliant.

A year ago I weighed, at most, about 11 stone 3lbs. I now weigh around 9 stone 5lbs. I was never terribly unhappy with my weight. In fact I thought I looked okay. But I felt terrible. An unhappy relationship, lack of exercise and poor diet was making me feel rubbish.

This was me 1 year ago:

And this is me now:
 

Losing weight for me was very simple. I just needed to get into the right frame of mind and I had to really want to do it. Once I got to that place I found that the weight started to come off, I felt amazing and I actually WANTED to exercise.

Initially, my break up triggered my weight loss. Now I'm not saying to go and be single to lose a few pounds, of course that would be very silly. But I had been through a lot, and finally being free of those restraints gave me a whole new lease of life. I had something I could focus on, and I just knew I could really do it and make myself look and feel happier.

This is when I stepped things up a gear. I started to exercise, I swapped sweets and biscuits for fruit, I learnt how to cook basic but healthy meals, and I turned to fellow bloggers for inspiration. Then I fell in love.. and became the happiest I've ever been in every aspect of my life, and this has rubbed off onto my desire to be fit and healthy.

Now I'm not saying I'm perfect now. There are days when I don't do any exercise and I consume biscuits like they're going out of fashion, but most days I give my body good, healthy food and get my butt into gear by exercising, even if it's just for 30 minutes.

I hope the tips in this post helps some of you to give your weight loss journey a kick start in the right direction.


Eat breakfast
I always used to skip breakfast. Now I have it every day without fail - muesli or bran flakes with semi-skimmed milk or 2 slices of toast with butter. I can't eat when I first wake up so I make it at work at about 8.45am and it's the perfect time. I have it with a cup of tea and it sets me up nicely for the day. 

What do I drink
I have never been one for fizzy pop so I mainly drink water, cups of tea (no sugar) and sometimes fruity squash. I don't drink nearly enough water as I should and I'm working on this one. I definitely feel better in myself for drinking more of the stuff. 

Meals and snacking
As mentioned above I always have breakfast. I have cut down on snacking, especially boredom-related snacking. At work I keep busy so I don't have time to sit munching at my desk but I always keep bananas, apples and satsumas close by for when I'm feeling peckish. I almost always have a sugary treat in the afternoon with a cup of tea but the key is not to go overboard. I won't deny myself anything because it only makes me feel miserable and then I want that thing more. 

5 a day
I don't always achieve 5 portions of fruit and veg a day but I get pretty close on most days. As mentioned above I always keep fruit by my desk at work so I usually have an apple and a banana per day, and my evening meal (if it's pasta for example) will always include veg such as mushrooms, peppers, carrots, etc.. The more chunky bits of veg the better! 

Exercise
On 1 January I kicked myself up the backside and told myself I had to do more exercise. The only way I was ever going to get the body I wanted was to do a considerable amount more than I've ever done before. I want to do even more than I currently do because it makes me feel so much fitter and firmer, however currently on average I do my Jillian Michaels workout 5 or 6 days a week and some jogging in between or instead of. I'd like to do an exercise class once a week and jog more.. and push myself harder. 

Don't lose hope
Reducing portions, cutting out/down on snacking and exercising can be difficult at first. And results won't happen overnight. But if you stick with it you WILL see results and that's what makes you want to carry on. 

I'm always working on my diet and on my exercise routine. This is an ongoing thing for me - I've lost the weight but now I want to tone up and increase my fitness levels. It's hard but stick with it!

 I'd quite like to look like this (Source)
Remember:

- Nothing happens overnight. The key is not to get disheartened when you don't see results straight away. I used to give up on exercise and dieting after a week because I didn't look any different and I thought "what's the point". Well, the point is hard work DOES pay off and once you start to enjoy exercise and build it into your daily routine then you're bound to see results.

- Be realistic. Set yourself realistic goals. I know people who lose a couple of pounds a week and they're disappointed. To me it's a fantastic achievement and a gradual loss, week by week, is going to be easier to maintain.

- Don't be tempted by quick fixes. I've tried crash diets before - the maple syrup one, the soup one, the shake one. Yes they can work, but you will be miserable/get bad breath/pass out/think about food ALL the time/put the weight back on once you eat proper meals again.

- Discover fruit and veg that you love. Give me a Royal Gala apple over a bag of sweets any day! (I'm being serious).

- Be happy. Don't jog if you hate it. Find something that you do enjoy.  Don't eat food that makes you miserable. Make changes to things that are bringing you down in life.

You only get one chance at life.. make it a happy and healthy one!

55 comments:

  1. Really inspirational. Well done

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like this post! I have about 35 pounds to lose. I started taking workout classes last month, but I am really kicking it up this month. I am also trying to work on food. Food is my problem, but I am learning to pay attention to my triggers and stuff like that. It's hard, but I am also just trying to push through and focus on being healthy instead of getting quick results. Hopefully I'll start seeing some results soon, though! :)
    prettyinthedesert

    ReplyDelete
  3. Victoria, you must have read my mind! I've just come on your blog and thought, wow, she looks fantastic! I've always thought you have, and always had hair envy, but you look so much happier and healthier now, you're glowing, and that really comes across in your posts too.

    I've just started doing the Dukan Diet, but I'm really struggling on it because I don't like enough of the allowed foods. I was inspired by my Mum to do it, who has lost over 4 stone in as many months, and she's still losing. In principle, Dukan is a great, sustainable diet, based on eating pure protein for 5 or so days to start with, then alternating between pure protein days and protein and vegetable days. However, I'm not a massive fan of most meats, so I'm struggling to get enough protein and enough variety...

    So, I think I'm going to come off the diet but keep what I've learnt in mind, and pretty much do what you're doing (I've got Jillian waiting for me on my laptop! I do Zumba once a week too, and walk everyday with Jamie in the buggy)...eat well, exercise a LOT more and maybe have 1 day a week pure protein or something. I thought all or nothing would work for me, and if I liked the foods it would (I've lost 8lbs already), BUT I'm dreaming of food I can't have (apples, brown pasta etc), and it's kinda just making me miserable.

    I'm not sleeping well either, so I think I just need to realise that whilst it might be perfect for some, unless I suddenly start liking all the allowed meat etc, it's not for me :(

    Thank you for sharing this with us, and I'm SO glad you're happy again...I don't get a chance to comment much anymore, but I always read, and I love you and your blog :) xxx

    P.S. Could you recommend me some hand weights to use with Jillian's workout please, if you don't mind?

    ReplyDelete
  4. You look absolutely fab hunny I wish I was as motivated as you xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I totally agree with all of this. When i was at my fittest/healthiest i didn't have to stop myself from eating rubbish and i wanted to go to the gym as i loved the buzz. It's much more maintainable that way too. You look amazing too, very healthy and happy! I've been meaning to push myself back into this direction for a while but have struggled due to being a super busy final year student but you've definitely inspired me! x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations. This is a fantastic and very inspirational post :) I have just jumped on the healthy eating/ workout bandwagon myself and I am enjoying it so far. I have found so much inspiration in this post, thank you very much. Keep up the amazing work your doing :) xLottiex

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congrats on your weight loss! :) Well done!

    I have lost just over 1 stone and I'm hoping to lose at least another 2 and it's an inspiration to read other people's stories about their success! :)

    Great post xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. geez louise that was SO motivating. I am literally walking to the fridge right now to get an apple. haha! xo

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well done Victoria, you look amazing, I also thought you looked great in your first pic too x. It just goes to show that good old fashioned diet and exercise is the best way to achieve weight loss, slow and steady wins the race!! x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ideally I'd like to loose 5 stone but it just seems such a HUGE amount & I think it'll never happen. I have lost quite abit of weight recently due to, like yourself, having relationship problems but I haven't exercised for a few weeks so after reading this I'm going to get my exercise bike out and cycle like there's no tomorrow!

    Fab post and I'm sure that many people will feel the same but you're really inspirational :-) x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Fantastic post. Since The New Year I've been making a massive effort to loose weight and it's been working! However the last couple of weeks have been slow and difficult but this was just the post I needed to give me a little spur on. My problem is I don't exercise!! I don't mind jogging, I find it extremely difficult and painful but it's easy and you don't need to join the gym! I'm going to up my game now and be better! Congrats on your weight loss you look wonderful now but you did back then too!!!


    Bow Dream Nation xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Loved how inspirational this post is. While I don't want to necessarily lose weight, I need to tone up but find it so difficult to know where to start and I really hate exercise. You look absolutely gorgeous and have just given me the kick I need to get up and do something! xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Welldone lovely(:, you look fantastic!xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is such an inspiring post! I lost nearly 2 stone too and I'm super duper happy! It's amazing how you work out so much! I love the Jillian Michaels Banish Fat Boost Metabolism - I can see results the very next day everytime I use it! I love the tips you've given! xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. I was hoping you'd post about how you achieved the incredible weight loss.

    Firstly, well done!

    Secondly, thank you for sharing some tips- i too have been dieting and have managed to lose 12 pounds but I feel like I've fallen off the dieting wagon slightly- this last week I have craved nothing but sweets (and given into those cravings!) Although I'm pleased to have lost some weight I feel that I've not gone about it in a very sensible way- I've been eating whatever I want on weekends, including takeaway after takeaway then in the week I eat very little. I want to overhaul this habit and try and incorporate healthier eating and exercise into my diet and make it a life change.

    I'm feeling a lot more motivated after reading this post- thank you! x

    ReplyDelete
  16. congrats on your success!!!
    I have recently made it and lost some weight that I gained over the previous 2 years. it is fantastic, and I learnt how to eat healthy again...and I totally agree on your suggestions. In fact, I wrote a post about it too. If you go over to my blog and click on the "mens sana in corpore sano" labels you'll see yourself.
    It is really true: "a healthy mind in a healthy body"...

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great post, thanks for this xx

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thank you so much for posting this! I'm currently trying to do more exercise and substitute my unhealthy snacks for fruit etc. Like you before you lost your weight, I think I look ok but, as I said in a recent post, I just feel so rubbish all the time! Constantly tired and sluggish :( and with me recently turning 25 I thought I best do something about if before it starts to get even harder to change things. I'm also using the help if Jillian Michaels to get fitter, but using the 30 day shred. I think once I've exhausted that DVD I might try the one you're using!

    I've done a very brief review of the 30 Day Shred in my blog if anyone wants to check it out:

    http://charlottescollection.blogspot.com/

    Charlotte

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great post, I totally agree with not depriving yourself of anything as thats where you can go wrong and eat everything in sight!
    I need to lose a stone, and it's taking ages!
    You've done amazingly, well done :)xxx

    ReplyDelete
  20. Well done, you look great! I'm finding it hard to give up the biscuits at the moment but I guess I need to persevere xx

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thanks for this - really useful and informative :) if I could drop a stone I would be at my ideal weight. I've stepped up my game recently and have been trying to get a healthier lifestyle. I attend zumba classes a few times a week, have started eating breakfast every day and started to snack on fruit! I feel so much better for it. I have always been a big water drinker and it definitely helps get rid of that sluggish feeling. x

    ReplyDelete
  22. Great post, refreshing to see someone dieting healthily without resorting to the fad diets, well done x

    ReplyDelete
  23. 100% helpful. The model in the pic looks a bit skinny to me. You probably have to become obsessed/consumed to be like that.

    Great post. You look great. And if you are happy too then that's what's most important.

    ReplyDelete
  24. really good post victoria you have done so well - this is going to be the year I sort my weight issues out once and for all and hopefully your post will help me xx

    ReplyDelete
  25. Wow this is a really lovely post! I know when i started eating healthily it was less about losing the weight and more about feeling fresher and happier! x :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Amazing well done! You look stunning and the fact you are so happy in all areas of your life just beams from every pore!! Congratulations x

    ReplyDelete
  27. You look SMOKIN!!! Very good tips, I cut out snacking because I wanted to lose 5lbs and it worked, I always walk the long way around to places now too. Thanks for this, really good tips xx

    ReplyDelete
  28. You look amazing, Victoria! Heartbreak certainly not an enjoyable way to begin losing weight but it certainly looks like it's a big helper. Well done you on continuing with the exercise and healthy eating - you look fab xx

    ReplyDelete
  29. I was thinking how amazing you looked in that photo in your last post, you look absolutely gorgeous - not that you didn't before as you look lovely in that first photo too.
    I think the best think about your managing to lose weight is the fact that you've done it sensibly by making life changes that have also made you healthier too. One thing I've realised over the last year or so is that fad diets just do not work and the only way to lose weight is to exercise more and eat less, or at least eat healthier. Well done you - it's really inspiring that you've done so well, and really makes me realise that I need to make more changes if I want to see a difference too.
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  30. Thank you so much for sharing this! You've made this seem so easy, and I'm sure it is when my mind is put to it. Thanks again for sharing, I hope I'll be able to follow in your footsteps. x

    ReplyDelete
  31. Well done on your weight loss, you look amazing! xx

    ReplyDelete

  32. you look amazing and you should indeed be so proud of yourself of all the hard work you did!
    this post definitely inspired me to continue with my own weight loss journey, plus the tips you gave are very helpful and real talk coming from someone who actually experienced it, not some gimmick!
    thank you :)

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  33. Really great tips!
    I thought you looked great before, but you look amazing now.
    I lost about a stone towards the end of last year. I've since put on a few pounds, although my boyfriend says it's not noticeable - but I would like to lose it again, plus a few pounds more maybe, just to be a bit happier! I would never ever go on any fad diets. I don't 'believe' in them, plus I like my food too much! I go to the gym 3 times a week, plus to a couple of classes [lbt and street dance] and also use the wii fit. That Jillian Michaels dvd looks good, might have to be a future purchase!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  34. You look amazing. I have so much respect and awe for anyone who can lose weight healthily, as well, clearly I have always failed and landed myself in a mess.

    Love the tips you posted, I've been able to find my own inspiration from them and adapt them to fit my needs...quite an achievement for anyone to sway my thinking!

    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  35. Great tips victoria, simple but effective! you look absolutely amazing, you still looked gorgeous before but I know what you mean when you really want to FEEL happy deep down. youre a real inspiration and its proof that if you want it enough - you can achieve it! :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  36. you look gorgeous and your very inspirational!! Your tips are spot on

    ReplyDelete
  37. Lovely post, you have done so well and talk a lot of sense, great reading!

    ReplyDelete
  38. Fab post and well done to you-I'm so jealous! I really need to kick my ass in to gear!I hope with the lighter evenings coming along, I will get out more in the evenings to do some kind of exercise!

    Looking absolutely fab by the way! XXX

    ReplyDelete
  39. Yey! Been hoping for a post like this from you Victoria =) you have done so amazingly well. You are rocking those skinny jeans. Thanks for being an inspiration - and for being lovely and non-smug with it too! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  40. This is a FANTASTIC post...recently I have been skipping breakfast and only having an apple for lunch but then eating loads in the evening which i know is unhealthy! You have inspired me to get more healthy...I actually bought bran flakes yesterday and ate some this morning and I shall continue to do so....xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  41. BRILLIANT POST. I've recently incorporated more exercise, less junk and less snacking into my lifestyle and while I haven't seen results yet, I generally feel better in myself. This post has helped motivate me even more! I'm going to try and take some of your tips on board as well :)

    ReplyDelete
  42. Fantastic post and well done on the weight loss, you look great!

    My diet and exercise have been terrible recently thanks to long days and the demands of uni work, but your blogpost has really inspired me to make some small changes to my lifestyle, and hopefully I'll be looking and feeling a lot healthier in a few months time x

    ReplyDelete
  43. This was a really inspirational post, you've shown how to get to a healthy weight using a healthy diet and exercise... well done! you look fabulous!

    xxMxx

    ReplyDelete
  44. thank you for sharing! you look absolutely fantastic! you clearly worked really hard and what you said made sense. baby steps xxx

    ReplyDelete
  45. thansk for a great inspiring post! i have been making an effort to be more healthy, and to exercise more, as i hate the way i look so much that it hurts, but i know that if i try to put a label on how much i want to lose etc, i wouldn't stick to it..

    ReplyDelete
  46. amazing - you have done so well hun and should feel so proud of your achievement. xo

    ReplyDelete
  47. Brilliant post. I want to lose about 1 - 2 stone, depending on how I feel when I get to that weight. I know it's so simple what I need to do but it's so hard to put it into place! You should be proud though, you look amazing (: x

    ReplyDelete
  48. Fab post- you are looking so good and so happy too! Yay! xx

    ReplyDelete
  49. Fabulous post, you've kicked me back into my motivation to exercise. Thank you :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  50. Thanks for the great post Victoria. :)

    Good job on the weight loss- you look great!

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  51. I'm so sorry its taken me so long to comment on this post after i nagged you for it lol. Must have read it 5 times and kept meaning to comment.
    You are a true inspiration. Your attitude to weight loss is so sensible and you will totally keep it off because its a lifestyle change and not a quick fix.
    You look incredible. You looked lovely before too. When i've seen you at events i've always admired your figure and in OOTDs i loved how comfortable you were with your curves but now you glow!
    You look so radiant and happy.

    I love the fact you are so realistic and eat normal foods. So many people out there really deprive themselves and i wonder how they can be that happy, not being able to go out and eat pizza or have some cake.
    You look amazing, eat in moderation and work out
    A true inspiration
    Much love xxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  52. oh you are such an inspiration! You look great :) I''ve lost about 2 and a half stone but stuck on the last 12lbs that wont budge! I think exercise is the key!! x

    ReplyDelete
  53. I love this post. I went to a gym class last night with a dodgy knee and the instructor told me that I need to lose weight. I woke up this morning and remembered what they had said and I cried. Thank you for the inspiration. x

    ReplyDelete
  54. @Laura - I'm sorry to hear you have been upset :( Email me if you need a friendly chat. x

    ReplyDelete
  55. HI Victoria!

    Just a little comment as I just came across your blog. I love it! Congratulations on your weight loss. I am currently about 11stone and like you were, I don't consider myself huge. However I am unhappy and seeing your transformation makes me even more determined. Consider yourself an inspiration! Love the blog x

    ReplyDelete