Eden Camp.

23.2.11


As I mentioned here, Jonathan and I visited Eden Camp on one of our days off around my birthday. We both went with our primary schools when we were about 11 but it is exactly how I remember it (which is part of its charm). I was always so fascinated with World War 2 when we studied it at school so I found this particular school trip very interesting, and it was good to go back and have another look around.

Eden Camp is made up of huts, and you work your way around each one. Each hut has a theme (the Blitz, the fashions of the 40s, etc). We thought the layout was very well organised - you start at hut 1 and then it's easy to navigate your way round, winding in and out of each hut. You can't get lost. You can take as much or as little time in each hut as you like. And there is so much information to take in.

We went on a Friday and there were a couple of groups of school children, and a couple of couples, and us. So we barely saw anyone as we were walking round. The children were very noisy and just wanted to get through the whole thing as quickly as possible, so we were often overtaken as I annoyingly read every single snippet of info.

Did you go to Eden Camp with school?

15 comments:

  1. I remember going, it was fab ! I must try and go again soon! glad you had fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, from your photos it looks exactly the same as it did when I visited back in primary school! The nostalgia!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah wow wish I'd known about this place when I was on holiday up near York. I love anything to do with WW2 especially the homefront etc, I'm eager to go to the Imperial War Museum soon. Thanks for blogging about it! xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I went here in primary school! It was so cool :) aha. I'll remember to take my little alfie when he is a wee bit older :) Great Post! xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. This isn't too far away from me so I've been quite alot, and like you say, its always perfectly the same, even the smell.
    Looks like you had a fab time :).
    X

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooo i've been there a few times - I have a dad that loved taking us around WW2 museum based things. The Blitz hut use to really really scare me though - so much that I still can't go inside it. Brilliant museum though defiantly well worth a visit.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think I am the wrong end of the country to have visited hear during school - but we did visit something similar two or three times and I loved it. I definitely want to go back to places I visited on school trips, they all have such good memories xxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Omg i remember going there primary 7 (scotland) in my trip to york with the school when we where learning about the war. Still looks the same snd that was a good 12/13 years ago

    Xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ah! I remember Eden Camp! I went when I was in middle school I think. Brings back memories!

    I also remember going to Ingleborough Hall & Malham Cove! I loved my Yorkshire childhood.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, I've never heard of that but I would love to go - it looks brilliant and I really like your snaps.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow! This place looks amazing. I've never heard of it but I'd love to go :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. I remember going at the age of eleven, and it still looks the same!
    Wow!
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  13. History doesn't do anything for me in the slightest, except the World Wars, and the whole life around it- so this looks like it would be right up my street. Great photos
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  14. This sounds really good. I love history, and was always fascinated by life in the 1940s so would love to visit this place one day. It's a shame I live so far away, but if I'm ever in the area I'll definitely visit x

    ReplyDelete
  15. I remember going with my parents, and I was at the age where I just wanted to leave and go somewhere else...However I remember it exactly the same. xx

    ReplyDelete