Yaki Soba.

16.1.11

We consumed some awesome food last weekend - truly scrummy. Most weekends we will grab a cookbook at random, or go to BBC Food, find a recipe and go out to buy the ingredients to whip it all together. Last weekend we had a look through the Wagamama cookbook and settled on making Yaki Soba which is stir fried chicken and prawns with noodles.

I adore stir frys as they are super quick to make, and it mainly involves throwing lots of ingredients into a wok. I'm a huge fan of prawns and chicken so this was always going to be a winner. It was absolutely yummy! The addition of 2 beaten eggs gave a different texture to a standard stir fry, and we polished off the whole lot!  (Full recipe at the bottom).


110g (4oz) soba noodles
2 tablespoons Yaki Soba sauce (100ml of light soy sauce, 2 teaspoons of salt, 2 teaspoons of sugar, 1 teaspoon of dark soy sauce - bring to the boil in a small pan, lower the heat and simmer for 10 minutes)
1 small onion, peeled and cut into half-moon slices
4 spring onions, trimmed and cut into 2.5cm lengths
Large handful of beansprouts
15 small cooked peeled prawns
2 tablespoons of vegetable oil
1 boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut into strips
1/2 red pepper, trimmed, deseeded and cubed
1/2 green pepper, trimmed, deseeded and cubed
2 eggs, beaten

(The recipe suggested adding ginger, dried shallots and sesame seeds to the top to serve, but we didn't bother with that).

Cook the noodles in a large pan of boiling water for 2 - 3 minutes until just tender. Drain and refresh under cold running water.
Put the Yaki Soba sauce, the onion, spring onion, beansprouts and prawns in a large bowl and mix in the noodles.
Heat a wok over a medium heat for 1 - 2 minutes or until completely hot and almost smoking and add the vegetable oil. Add the chicken and red and green peppers and stir fry for 2 minutes. Add the noodles and vegetables to the wok and stir fry quickly for 3 minutes until warmed through. Add the eggs and continue to stir fry for a further minute or until the eggs are just cooked. Serve with the pickled ginger, shallots and sesame seeds.

16 comments:

  1. That looks delicious! I intend to try lots more new recipes this year, and not just stick to my usual dreary student diet, so I may try this one out. I love prawns in stir-fries.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks SO good :) my guy is the cook in our house, I'm better at baking, I'll ask him nicely to make this for me :)

    Love, Vanilla

    http://vanillaheartsstyle.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. The prawns look delicious! I'm such a stirfry fan, but rarely make them for some reason! You've provided me for some meal inspiration for next week :) xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mmm, looks yummy!! I love stir frys.

    Sadie x

    http://brandnewbutterflywings.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hmm I've just ordered the wagamama cookbook from the library, can't wait for it to come back in so I can use it! Stirfrys are so yummy & healthy hmmm.

    ReplyDelete
  6. that looks absolutely lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks delish, I think I need this cookbook in my life x

    ReplyDelete
  8. That looks delicious, yum yum yum! Thanks for your email too chica =) I did a post about it all and everyone left nice comments so feeling a little happier that everyone cares so much, it's really sweet!!

    Hannah xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. that looks SO good. I need to get over my prawn phobia!

    ReplyDelete
  10. that looks actaully amazing"
    XXX

    ReplyDelete
  11. That looks so yummy. I always have Yaki Soba at Wagamamas! x

    ReplyDelete
  12. ooh yummy!
    i need to be more adventurous when choosing what to cook, i love to cook bt tend to stick to what i already know, so i need to step out of my cooking comfort zone i think ! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. that looks so delicious! WHen i look at the pictures they make me want to go right up to the kitchen and start cooking right away!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Just made this for tea using ure recipe - so quick and easy! Xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. Just made this for tea using ure recipe - so quick and easy! Xx

    ReplyDelete